There are a number of situations in which it is absolutely vital to seek professional assistance either because the result you want to achieve is too complicated for home-drafting or your assets are of a type to which special tax concessions apply.
The following sections should enable you to identify these situations and organise your paperwork before visiting a solicitor.
There are some common situations in which you will need more than a simple will:
1. Where your estate is going to be over the threshold for inheritance tax.
2. Where you have business assets.
3. Where you have foreign assets.
4. Where you wish to make provision for a handicapped child or a child with a problem such as a gambling addiction.
5. Where you have a second family.